The Hannibal Clinic was founded by four physicians in 1957. Dr. Richard M. Strong, General Surgeon, Dr. Francis R. Burns, OB/GYN, Dr. Wyeth Hamlin, Internal Medicine, and Dr. Daniel B. Landau, Pediatrician, opened the Clinic on April 24, 1957 at 1001 Broadway in Hannibal. Medicine was practiced very differently at this time. The concept of a multi-specialty group was very new and forward thinking. Ambulance services were provided by local funeral homes. Patients were often brought to the hospital by family or by emergency room doctors. There were no walk-in clinics. Physicians were on call 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

In 1959, the Clinic moved to a 6000 square foot building containing examination rooms, full laboratory and x-ray facilities, minor surgery, business offices, and waiting rooms at 711 Grand in Hannibal. Four additions totaling 14,000 square feet were added to this building over the years. A business office for accounting, billing and patient accounts was maintained across the street at 696 Grand Avenue. By the Clinic’s 25th anniversary in 1982, the clinic was staffed by 14 physicians and 50 full-time and part-time non-physician employees.

Following the 1993 opening of Hannibal Regional Hospital, the Hannibal Clinic expanded services with new construction at 100 Medical Drive. The specialties of cardiology, obstetrics and gynecology, and urology occupied this facility in October 1996. An addition to this clinic opened in April 2000 for the specialties of surgery, gastroenterology, and pulmonary/critical care. In October 2003, a three-floor addition was opened and all physicians and supporting services from the facilities at Grand and Highway 61 North were moved to the new Hannibal Clinic at 100 Medical Drive. This location allowed all the medical specialties to practice in the same building and provides convenience for patients and their families. This building houses 49 physicians, practicing in 20 specialties, and 3 Nurse Practitioners. The Hannibal Clinic has 6 physicians and 3 Nurse Practitioners in 6 satellite facilities.

The Clinic at 711 Grand was closed in October 2003. This facility was later donated to Douglas Community Services. The former business office at 696 Grand was also closed in October 2003 and now serves as an off-site storage center.

Additionally, the Hannibal Clinic has expanded services by offering physician services at satellite clinics in Palmyra (1988), Bowling Green (2002), Monroe City (2006), and Center, Missouri (2009). These clinics are staffed by six Board Certified Family Practice physicians and a Nurse Practitioner.

In July 2000, the Northeast Missouri Ambulatory Surgery Center opened at 98 Medical Drive (formerly 8705 Highway 36 West) in the lower level of the West building. The Surgery Center is jointly owned and operated by the Clinic and Midwest Orthopedic Services in Hannibal.

The James E. Cary Cancer Center, a joint effort between the Hannibal Clinic and Hannibal Regional Hospital, opened in April 2003. Dr. Bukstein said this was “a milestone. The James E. Cary Cancer Center kept people in Hannibal who would have routinely gone to Quincy, St. Louis, or Columbia. The opening of the James E. Cary Cancer Center is a blessing for our patients.” The Hannibal Clinic provides Medical Oncology services at this location.

The Hannibal Clinic has proudly served our community for more than 50 years and will continue to do so into the future.